Here’s How You Can Stay Safe In The Mumbai Rains!
People stuck at work, train lines shut, flights delayed, and roads replaced by rivers. No, this is not a recap of 2005 floods in Mumbai, this is the current, live update of the rains leaving the city that never sleeps, paralyzed.
After facing the wrath for 6 hours, I am lucky to be home. But there are lakhs of people still out there, including many of my own. For everyone and their loved ones, here are a few things to keep in mind, to ensure you’re safe in this horrible weather.
1. Firstly, you can call on these helplines: BMC Helpline – 1916, Mumbai Police – 100
2. Tweet to Mumbai Police and their very active social media team will help you out!
3. If you’re in your cars and there is water logging, then please abandon your cars as you can get stuck inside and it will be difficult to break free.
4. Wherever you are just stay in groups.
5. Collect food like biscuits, chips etc and keep them handy. Make sure you’ve enough water with you.
6. If at work then I suggest you don’t venture out. Stay the night if needed.
7. Do not take the trains as the tracks are all under water and you will end up walking home, anyway.
8. Keep updating at least one person about your whereabouts.
9. Call up any of the media channels or send a tweet to them and they’ll be able to help others in the same situation.
10. If possible, leave your bags/luggage behind and focus all your energy in staying safe.
11. Keep candles and groceries in stock as the BMC has indicated at a power cut.
3 relief teams have been sent to Mumbai from Pune and the government has finally woken up and is trying to help those who are stranded.
CM Devendra Fadnavis has declared a high alert for the next 48 hours. A major cause for this disaster are the potholes and the shitty management by the authorities. And of course, they don’t agree by saying that even U.S is flooded and such things happen. Seriously, cannot.
Dadar, Sion, Kurla, Matunga, Suburbs, Lower Parel, Worli are the worst affected. Bandra-Worli sea link has been shut and the Freeway is choco-blocked. If you’re in these areas, please get help NOW.
And if you’re stuck in a car or may know someone who is, watch the video below to know what to do in such a scenario.