Oil Pulling: The Answer To All Your Oral Health Problems
I always wondered how I could keep my teeth sparkly white, my gums healthy, and my mouth cavity-free in the long run, without having to sell a kidney or rob a bank. Well, I might just have discovered the answer! Oil pulling is a term that everyone has been talking about, and if you’ve never heard of it before, this might just be the life-changing routine you need to try.
What exactly does it do, you ask? Well, let’s just put it this way. Did you ever imagine that rinsing your mouth each morning would be all it took to change the way you look, the way you feel, and improve your oral health?
How To Do Oil Pulling
Oil pulling is no rocket science. Here’s how it’s done:
- Take an edible oil, preferably coconut oil, and put a tablespoon full of it in your mouth each morning.
- Start swishing it around in your mouth while you pack your lunch, do your hair/makeup, and maybe even while you’re in the shower. Swish away for around 15-20 minutes, and trust me your cheeks with feel the workout!
- Spit it out in a toilet bowl since the oil can jam up the sink/shower hole. The spit would be milky and your mouth should not feel oily at all. If your spit is still clear, and your mouth feels oily, then you probably didn’t swish it around for long enough.
- That’s it! Just rinse your mouth with some warm water, and brush your teeth like you would usually.
Benefits Of Oil Pulling
Now, here are a few reasons why you should indulge in this life-changing routine each morning.
1. Whitens Teeth
It has the effect of whitening teeth naturally, since the oil pulls away all the gunk stuck on them.
2. Reduces Bad Breath
Poor oral hygiene, tongue coating, or gum disease causes bacteria to get trapped on the tongue, which causes bad breath. Oil pulling helps prevent this, and works as a natural alternative to reduce bad breath.
3. Prevents Disease
In the long run, it prevents conditions like arthritis, asthma, headaches, hormonal imbalances, infections, liver problems and more.
4. Improves Gum Health
Certain oils help fight harmful bacteria in the mouth, as they cut through the plaque and remove toxins without disturbing the gums! This can heal bleeding gums and reduce inflammation and swelling, in turn keeping your gums healthy.
5. Kills Harmful Bacteria
Several studies have shown that oil pulling could help reduce the number of harmful bacteria in the mouth.
6. Helps Prevent Cavities
Poor oral hygiene, too much sugar in your diet, and a buildup of bacteria can cause your teeth to decay over time. Oil pulling ensures that the bacteria doesn’t build up and eat into the teeth, thus preventing cavities.
7. Is A Cheaper Way To Take Care Of Oral Health
Oil pulling is a very inexpensive activity since all you need is coconut oil, which is found in most Indian kitchens. It can easily be added to your morning routine, and you can multitask while you are doing it!