Finland Has A 34-Year-Old, Female PM In Sanna Marin. It’s Making Us Want To Move There!
Guys, let’s take a moment here. Finland has just appointed a 34-year-old Sanna Marin as their Prime Minister. Do you know how many women are in PM Modi’s 24-person cabinet? About 6. Think about it, we are generations away from having a young woman helm our country. Even though today it is very important to have a leader that actually understands the direction the world is moving in. To have a woman at the helm of affairs and at such a young age, it’s a distant dream.
While Finland swears in 34-year-old Sanna Marin, we have ministers going on record to condone heinous crimes like rape. Do you see the difference in the governments of the two countries? That is how much we need to progress if we ever want to live in a country that is inclusive of women as well as men.
Also Read: Indian Navy Gets Its First Woman Pilot Ever And Here Is Everything You Need To Know About Sub Lt. Shivangi Singh
Finnish minister Sanna Marin, 34, to become youngest PM https://t.co/kopyVCBgT5
— BBC News (World) (@BBCWorld) December 9, 2019
However, no matter how much we fight and spread awareness I don’t think something like this is ever possible in a country like India. I am not being cynical, it is highly improbable because at least 70% of our population still believe in the rigid and orthodox social norms that dictate women are only meant to bear children and do household chores.
If we want actual, noticeable progress that mindset is what we need to change. And Sanna Marin is proof that a woman can achieve anything when she puts her mind to. We are so incredibly happy and can’t wait to see all the amazing work she does for her country.
Here is everything we know about the new Finnish PM Sanna Marin
- Once Sanna takes office sometime next week, she will create history by being the youngest sitting Prime Minister in the world. She will trump New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern who is 39, while Ukrainian premier Oleksiy Honcharuk who is 35. Talking about her young age, Sanna told Finnish reporters on Sunday, “I have never thought about my age or gender, I think of the reasons I got into politics and those things for which we have won the trust of the electorate.” We really could use more world leaders like her!
- She was the Finnish Transport Minister before she was picked by largest party of Finland (Social Democratic Party) to take over after PM Antti Rinne quit. She will be the country’s third female Prime Minister.
- Sanna’s age and her progressive center-left stand in politics is what will make her one of the most sought-after leaders in the world. She is being compared to the New Zealand PM Ardern who is not only closer to her in age but also holds a similar political standing.
- Right now, the Finnish political scenario appears to be dominated by young women. Four other parties in Finland’s coalition government are being helmed by women. The Left Alliance is led by Li Anderson who is 32, The Green League is led by Maria Ohisalo who is 34, The Centre Party is led by Katri Kulmuni who is 32 and Anna-Maja Henriksson who is 55, is at the head of the Swedish People’s party. How awesome is that?
- Sanna has had a swift rise in Finnish Politics since she became the head of the city council in her hometown, Tampere at the age of 27.
Also Read: Miss World Takes Back Winning Title From Woman After Realising She Is A Mother. What Is This Discrimination?
Just because we are far behind, doesn’t have to mean we can’t progress and make reforms. Change is possible, we just have to take actual action. We need leaders who are progressive and liberal themselves, people who will focus more on making our country better and less on how many cows died.
Having said that, congratulations Finland!