15 Quotes From ‘The Forty Rules Of Love’ That Will Change You Forever!
George Sand said, “There is only one happiness in this life, to love and be loved.” We all know this to be true. While there are different kinds of love in this life, the same rules apply to each kind. And The Forty Rules of Love is a book that reveals exactly this.
This bestseller by a Turkish author, Elif Shafak, is based on the relationship Rumi shared with his spiritual master, Shams of Tabriz. Yet these heart-warming quotes about love from the book are so relatable. They will touch your heart and bring a smile to your face.
1. ‘Every true love and friendship is a story of unexpected transformation. If we are the same person before and after we loved, that means we haven’t loved enough.’ (Source)
2. ‘How can love be worthy of its name if one selects solely the pretty things and leaves out the hardships? It is easy to enjoy the good and dislike the bad. Anybody can do that. The real challenge is to love the good and the bad together, not because you need to take the rough with the smooth but because you need to go beyond such descriptions and accept love in its entirety.’ (Source)
3. ‘Love exists within each of us from the moment we are born and waits to be discovered from then on.’ (Source)
4. ‘Real filth is the one inside. The rest simply washes off. There is only one type of dirt that cannot be cleansed with pure waters, and that is the stain of hatred and bigotry contaminating the soul. You can purify your body through abstinence and fasting, but only love will purify your heart.’ (Source)
5. ‘The chemistry of mind is different from the chemistry of love. The mind is careful, suspicious, he advances little by little. He advices “Be careful, protect yourself” Whereas love says, “Let yourself, go!” The mind is strong, never fells down, while love hurts itself, fells into ruins. But isn’t it in ruins that we mostly find the treasures? A broken heart hides so many treasures.’ (Source)
6. ‘Don’t ask yourself what kind of love you should seek, spiritual or material, divine or mundane, Eastern or Western.
Divisions only lead to more divisions.
Love has no labels, no definitions.
It is what it is, pure and simple.
Love is the water of life and a lover is a soul of fire!
The universe turns differently when fire loves water.’ (Source)
7. ‘For despite what some people say, love is not a sweet feeling bound to come and quickly go away. In many ways the twenty-first century is not that different from the thirteenth century. Both will be recorded in history as times of unprecedented religious clashes, cultural misunderstandings, and a general sense of insecurity and fear of the Other. At times like these, the need for love is greater than ever. Because love is the very essence and purpose of life. As Rumi reminds us, it hits everybody, including those who shun love – even those who use the word “romantic” as a sign of disapproval.’ (Source)
8. ‘The quest for Love changes us. There is no seeker among those who search for Love who has not matured on the way. The moment you start looking for Love, you start to change within and without.’ (Source)
9. ‘Where there is love, there is bound to be heartache.’ (Source)
10. Just as clay needs to go through intense heat to become strong, Love can only be perfected in pain.’ (Source)
11. ‘May love find you when you least expect, where you least expect.’ (Source)
12. ‘When you have both eyes closed to the world, a third eye opens in your heart.’ (Source)
13. ‘Don’t ask yourself what kind of love you should seek, spiritual or material, divine or mundane, Eastern or Western. Divisions only lead to more divisions. Love has no labels, no definitions. It is what it is, pure and simple. Love is the water of life and a lover is a soul of fire! The universe turns differently when fire loves water.’ (Source)
14. ‘Even a speck of love should not go unappreciated, because, as Rumi said, love is the water of life.’ (Source)
15. ‘Love cannot be explained. It can only be experienced. Love cannot be explained, yet it explains all.’ (Source)