Get the latest
Fashion, Beauty & Shopping News



The Three Body Types- Ectomorph, Endomorph And Mesomorph, Explained.

By  | 

Do you ever wonder why it is easier for some people to lose weight or some to build muscle? We usually get envious of naturally lean women at the gym who maintain a level of fitness with comparatively lesser effort. We also sometimes stop to wonder about the girl who eats junk food all day every day and still has a kickass figure. While we can’t get the scales to tip on a favourable side even though we ain’t touch no fries!

It is all to do about body types. Let me explain, for centuries scientists have been trying to come up with body type categories that would encompass all the various body types. In the 1940s an American Psychologist William Sheldon introduced his own theory of somatotypes that we refer to date. He said that body types can be categorized into three aspects- Endomorph, Ectomorph, and Mesomorph.

While not everybody fits into one of these categories there are few dominant characteristics that tell you which one you are best suited for. Once you recognize that, you can follow the best diet and workout plan for your body.

Read on to know which body type you are!

Also Read: 5 Foods That You’ve Been Told To Avoid On A Diet But Actually Could Be Healthy

What is Ectomorph?

The Ectomorph body type is thin, usually tall and lanky. They struggle to gain weight no matter how many carbs or fats they eat (Lucky idiots!) They usually have a lean build with long limbs and small muscles. To gain weight naturally, they must load up on carbs and foods full of calories. Well, more than they are used to!

If you are an ectomorph, most of your calories should come from carbs and at least 25 percent from protein if you want to build muscles. It is also important to indulge in high-intensity interval training and eat something small every two hours. Yes, you might be luckier than most of us (ugh!) but the fact that you don’t put on weight doesn’t mean you are fit. You must be sure to take in all your nutrients and gain muscle as well.

What is Endomorph?

If you find it ridiculously tough to shed fat you probably have an endomorphic body type. It is okay, don’t fret just because you tend to gain weight faster. You are curvy, own it!

Endomorphs usually have narrow shoulders, wide hips, and shorter limbs. While they have a larger muscle mass, they also have a higher fat percentage because they are predisposed to storing fat rather than building muscles. They store excess weight in their thighs, buttocks, and hips giving them a pear-shaped appearance.

The best way for an endomorph to lose weight is through a combination of healthy eating and regular exercise. Start by cutting down your carbs to only 30% the other 70% should be divided into protein and good fats.

When it comes to exercise, cardio is the best form of exercise since it ensures that your body does not revert to fat-storing stages. You can also do high-intensity interval training and cross-training to build muscles. Your main goal should not be to lose weight but to boost your metabolism and prevent it from turning calories into fat.

What is Mesomorph?

A Mesomorphic body-type is the ideal body type. A mesomorph has a natural tendency to stay fit and achieve muscle-mass very easily. They have more muscle than fat on their bodies and are not overweight or underweight. Just like ectomorphs, mesomorphs can too eat whatever they like without putting on weight, but the flip side here is that they may gain weight just as easily if they aren’t careful.

Since this body type has a lot to do with muscle it stands to reason that they need a more protein-based diet that can help with the building and repairing of muscles. They also need to consume a lot of fruits and vegetables rich in antioxidants and whole grains (quinoa, oats, etc).

Just because mesomorphs have a naturally muscular body doesn’t mean they don’t need to exercise. They do need to train to stay lean! Alternating between weights and cardio would be the ideal workout for mesomorphs.

Also Read: 7 Workouts For When You Don’t Feel Like Working Out

Like I have said above, not everyone fits exactly in one of these categories. There are also combinations of body-types. For e.g., a person with a pear-shaped body will be an ecto-endo combination. They will have broader hips and narrow shoulders with longish limbs. If you have a combination body-type, recognize the more dominant traits and set your fitness regime and goals according to that.

One thing you must keep in mind though is that because these three body-types have a lot to do with your skeleton shape, it might not be possible to completely change it. But that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t take care of yourself in the right way.

So, which body type are you?

These 5 Foods Are Marketed To You As ‘Healthy’ But They Could Be The Reason You’re Putting On Weight


Leave a Reply