‘Yearly Departed’ Trailer Promises The Perfect Eulogy For 2020, A Year That Almost Killed Us!
NGL, 2020 really had us by the tiddies! From coronavirus pandemic, a biblical insect plague, to wildfires, global recession, touch deprivation, cabin fever, banana bread obsession, climate change and fracking aliens (Shush! No arguments unless you can explain those monoliths), we’ve seen it all. I cannot believe I spent so much time, money, effort and my best dress and makeup welcoming 2020 last NYE. There are a lot of hopes pinned to 2021, like it’s some magical wand wave that will Avada Kedavra all the bad mojo and usher in prosperity. But before that happens, we must say “Bye Felicia” to 2020. And comedians Phoebe Robinson, Rachel Brosnahan, Tiffany Haddish, Patti Harrison, Natasha Legerro, Sarah Silverman, Natasha Rothwell, and Ziwe have prepared the perfect eulogy with Amazon Prime Video’s Yearly Departed.
View this post on Instagram
Fresh off watching the Yearly Departed trailer, I can assure you, no matter what happens in the remaining 15 days of 2020, come December 30, we’re going to see it off with a bang. And by bang I mean the sound of all our laughs in unison, because guess what Yearly Departed is? A one-hour comedy special about the year we all love to hate! I mean I’d heard many genius ideas were born out of the despair that was this year but having female comedians eulogize all that we lost in 2020? Could there be a better way? What’s more, if you enjoyed Marvelous Mrs Maisel a lot, like me, you’ll be happy to know that Rachel Brosnahan aka Mrs Maisel herself is the producer and one of the comedians lined up to rip 2020 apart!
The comedy special’s official summary as per Amazon Prime Video is thus: “Yearly Departed is a series of eulogies for the year 2020, where a lineup of all-women comedians will deliver everything from casual sex to beige Band-Aids and everything in between that we’ve “lost” in 2020. After a year of societal upheaval, plague, murder hornets and banana bread, Yearly Departed will give 2020 the huge send-off it deserves, from some of the world’s funniest women. Yearly Departed is executive produced by Rachel Brosnahan, Paige Simpson, David Jammy, Katy Mullan, Samantha Ressler, Nathalie Love, and Bess Kalb, with Kalb also serving as head writer. Emmy Award-nominee Linda Mendoza (Tiffany Haddish Presents: They Ready) is set to direct. Yearly Departed is from Amazon Studios and Done + Dusted.”
Also Read: A Call To Spy Review: Sarah Megan Thomas, Radhika Apte Film Is An Elegant, Very Real Portrayal Of Female WWII Spies
Now I really don’t think you’re going to need much convincing, but let me give you five very good reasons why you need to watch Yearly Departed!
1. This is the best way to flip off the nightmare that 2020 has been! Roast the f*** out of this one! YAAAS!
2. It’s an all-female line up, and these are the funniest women, all in one room! What’s not to love?
3. I have a feeling it’s going to be so darn relatable, especially when they get drunk and really pour it out! Because it’s not just about the big messes that 2020 made, like the virus or the US Elections. But also the smaller ones, you know, on a personal level. Like the mindf**k that was quarantine and how it made you evaluate your life choices. Or that weird obsession with baking that everyone had!
4. As Tiffany Haddish says, “This is my chance to heal, to get my spirit, my soul back together!” And I FELT that. I mean, this is basically therapy. And one that, if you have a subscription, you don’t need to pay for. Because come on, we know we’re all broke.
5. There are chances you’re going to have a sad NYE with all the restrictions, so why not have a raucous New Year’s Eve… Eve. I mean, I hope that you get to have some fun, and if you have plans, you’re being safe (in every iteration of the word possible). But if you’re planning a quite weekend in, then this could be a fun thing to watch with your peeps!
Yearly Departed will premiere on December 30, 2020, on Amazon Prime Video.