4 DIY Hair Masks For Salon-Like Glossy Hair
“If my hair looks good, I can deal with anything!” – goes one of the more popular beauty memes on Instagram. It’s also one that resonates strongly with me. I’m sure countless girls must feel the same. Hair is our crowning glory, yet most girls share a love-hate relationship with our hair. I am yet to come across a girl who is completely in love with her hair just as it is. No matter how gorgeous our poker straight, wavy, curly or textured hair looks, we’re always trying to make it stronger and/or shinier.
The biggest goal in my life is to be able to get my hair done professionally every day (along with a weekly spa ritual, of course). While that is not practical, here’s what I do to make my hair glossy and fabulous at home: source the ingredients from a local store, then walk into my kitchen. Really, it’s THAT simple! The best part? These homemade, natural hair masks are chemical-free and give my hair some serious TLC!
1. Yoghurt Mask for brittle hair
Yoghurt is a lifesaver for dry hair. It is nourishing, helps in controlling dandruff and adds insane shine to dry, brittle hair.
1. Mix two scoops of yoghurt, one tablespoon of honey and a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a bowl.
2. Work it into your hair covering it from root to tip.
3. Make sure you massage it into your scalp as well.
4. Cover with a shower cap and leave on for 20 minutes.
5. Rinse off with lukewarm water.
6. You can shampoo and condition after, but use conditioner only on the ends of your hair.
2. Egg Mask for cleansing and strengthening
Egg yolks are a rich source of fat and protein and moisturise and strengthen hair, while egg whites cleanse hair and the scalp.
1. If you have shoulder-length-and-longer hair, mix two eggs instead of one, with two teaspoons of olive oil and a few drops of lemon juice.
2. Apply the mask to your hair and leave it on for 20 minutes.
3. Wash and shampoo with cold water. DO NOT wash with warm water. You don’t want the egg mask to turn into scrambled eggs in your hair!
3. Banana smoothie mask for frizzy hair
Bananas help smoothen hair by regulating oil production in your scalp. They also aid is hair growth since they are rich in potassium and vitamins A, E, and C.
1. Blend two bananas in a mixer. The riper the bananas, the better it is.
2. Add a tablespoon of coconut oil and honey to the pulp.
3. Apply the concoction on your scalp and massage it in.
4. Cover your hair with a shower cap and let it soak in the goodness for 15 minutes.
5. Wash it off with cold water. Shampoo if necessary.
4. Oatmeal Mask to soothe an itchy scalp
Oats exfoliate skin without being too harsh and can be used effectively on the scalp to scrub off dead skin too.
1. Stir a tablespoon of oatmeal, half a cup of milk and two tablespoons of almond oil together.
2. Apply it to your scalp when your hair is dry and scrub it in gently.
3. Let your hair and scalp soak up the milk and almond oil for 15 mintues.
4. Wash everything off with lukewarm water.