20 Eyeliner Hacks That Will Change Your Life
Learning to line your eyes perfectly is a rite of passage as far as make-up is concerned. We all know how frustrating it can be: sometimes your eyeliner can get wonky, or your cat eyeliner has weird angles, then there are smudgy, runny lines…the list is endless. How many silent tears have we shed while going through this morning ritual before giving it up altogether?
Stop worrying now, darlings. Here are 20 bonafide eyeliner hacks to nail your eyeliner EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
1. Want your eyeliner to last longer? Set it with an eyeshadow in the same colour. Line your eyes with a pencil liner, then use an angled brush to apply eyeshadow directly on top of the line for longer lasting liner.
2. You can also use the above trick to darken your waterline, but switch the eyeshadow with a gel liner. Line your waterline with kohl then top it with gel liner. This intensifies the effect and makes your kohl last long, especially if you don’t have a waterproof one.
3. Pencil liners are far easier to use than liquid liners. If you haven’t mastered liquid liner yet, use a pencil liner to draw the guidelines then draw over it with liquid liner.
4. Want to go beyond basic black, brown and grey liners without splurging on coloured ones? Use a wet liner brush dipped in a coloured eyeshadow to line your eyes. Wetting the brush intensifies the colour and make the line look sharper.
5. Did you know you could use eyeliner to intensify your eyeshadow? Read more about it here.
6. If making a neat, clean line is harder for you, then line your eyes as best as you can and clean the rough edges with a cotton swab dipped in petroleum jelly. Cleaning up mistakes is far easier than trying to get neat lines.
7. Tilt your head up and fill the space between your lashes with a pencil or gel liner. This technique is called tightlining. It makes your lashes look dense and brings out your eyes without going overboard.
8. Need an eyelift? Draw a line above and below your eyebrows with a white eyeliner pencil concentrating on the outer ends. Smudge it with a make-up sponge or your fingers until there is a diffused luminance around the area.
9. Sometimes eyeliner tends to crumble while applying it. Throw it in the freezer for 10 minutes before using it.
10. Use a business card to get your cat eye flick straight.
11. That doesn’t work for you? Use this no-fail hack to master the cat eye.
12. Made a mistake and need to clean it? Use a nude eye pencil to draw over the mistake instead of wiping the line with make-up remover. You can also use nude eye pencil on the cat eyeliner’s flick to sharpen it.
13. If you don’t have a nude eye pencil, use a spot of concealer to clean liner mistakes.
14. Ran out of eyeliner? Dip your angled brush in your mascara wand and use it to line your eyes instead.
15. Place your fingers near your eyebrow and pull your skin taut in an upward direction while lining your eyes instead of pulling your skin sideways.
16. To prevent kohl from smudging under your eyes, use flesh-coloured eyeshadow under your lower lashline. It looks clean and neat.
17. The best way to steady shaky hands while applying eyeliner is to rest your elbow on a flat surface and your pinky finger on your cheek. This gives your hand some balance and your lining skills get infinitely better.
18. If your eyeliner is not straight and neat and you don’t have time to fix it, use a smudging brush to smudge the line to create a soft, smokey effect.
19. Apply a little eyeliner on the rubber stamps of your lash curler to line your eyes and curl your lashes in one go. This is especially useful when you have very little time.
20. Heading out to a party after work? Take your basic black liner from work to party mode by swiping a glitter pencil over it.
ALSO READ: 5 Mistakes You’re Making With Your Eyeliner